Old Church of Ayia Varvara
Both churches in the village are dedicated to Ayia Varvara, with one of them dating back to end of the 19th century and the second one to the beginning of the 21st century.
The oldest church of Ayia Varvara is built on the northwest edge of the community. Its construction is dated back to the year 1872, during the Turkish occupation and because of that the Turks had to give their consent for its construction. Originally, its roof was made of reeds and rocks.
Shortly before 1974, the church of the village caught fire. The first witness of the fire was a Turkish Cypriot resident of the village, who faced the dilemma whether to call for help or not as he was afraid that if he called for help the Turkish Cypriots would be blamed for the fire. Finally, he decided to ask his fellow villagers for help to put out the fire. However, by the time he did so the fire had already been extinguished. What is worth mentioning is that no damage was caused to the iconostasis as a result of the fire.
Ayia Varvara Community Council
New Church of Ayia Varvara